Monday, January 17, 2011

its like prom for celebrities

A lot of people in the fashion world say they hate celebrities and the award shows etc. but I love them. I don't care for a lot of stars but I can appreciate those who are talented and make me laugh/cry/angry/happy/passionate, etc. I snooze through a lot of the speeches(but get super emotional with others) but I can appreciate the beautiful creations that they get to wear. It's a chance to admire the stunning gowns that we lust after on the runway but would otherwise never get to see worn.


I generally hate best/worst dressed lists because I really think it depends on each person's personal taste and people can be ridiculously insensitive, but here are some of the gowns that made me smile.

gg lv gg lanvin
a. The moment I saw this LV dress my heart skipped a beat. I've seen this collection all over magazines and I adore the ads, but to see it on a real person was even better. love love love


b. I love a shocking pink or red on a ginger and this Lanvin number definitely fit the bill. At first I was a bit confused with the neckline, but the moreI looked at it the more I fell in love. It looked even better onscreen.


gg calvin klain 2 gg calvin klein

c,d.While most chose gaudier and more extravagent gowns, a little injection of this season's minimalism was definitely in order. These calvin klein dresses were perfect. As much as I love sequins and tulle and ruffles I think a simple silhouette is the epitome of effortless chic. The colors look washed out in the photos but were truly brillant onscreen.

gg prada gowngg victor&rolf gown stella mccartney shoes
e. There really isn't much to say about Nicole Kidman's prada gown. I liked its simplicity and I love one shoulder gowns. The sequins give the white a nice punch.

f. It would be completely accurate to say that I might have an obsession with Natalie Portman. Ever since I saw Where the Heart Is when I was like 13 I've loved her acting. And even better yet, she's an advocate for the earth and is VEGAN. I look forward to seeing what she wears just to find new vegan eco/vegan designers.I have yet to see black swans because no one will see it with me, but hopefully soon. ps she's wearing a victor&rolf gown with stellla heels.


gg oscar de la rentagg marchesa
g. I have to say that seeing anyone wear Oscar is always a treat. He's one of the designers that consistently shows gowns that you just want to steal off the runway and wear to every special(or just plain normal) day of your life.

h. Another house that never fails in my book is Marchesa. I can look at their dresses again and again and still smile. I love that navy was chosen here instead of black; as much as I love black, I think it is highly overplayed in award shows and the navy allows all of the subtle details to be fully admired.
gg atelier versace long-sleeved emerald gowngg vera wang

i. Angelina always looks gorgeous on the red carpet, but never really suprises me. I love emerald tones and long sleeves, but wheres the wow factor? Gown by Versace.
j. All hail Vera Wang. This dress was definitely one of my favorites. I always love a single shoulder, and again, emerald, but the fabric detail here is simply divine. Mila looks fabulous.

gg armani prive
k. Anne in Armani gets me every time. She always embodies that old holywood glamour that most celebrities never seem to achieve. Long sleeves, sparkle, pinkish tone. sigh.
l. Once again, I cannot say enough about Marchesa. Their designs are so dreamy and probably make you feel like your on top of the world when you're wearing one of their gowns(not that I would know...). Give me and abundance of tulle and sequins and I'm on board. And LOOK AT THOSE LOUBS. I think they totally bring the look perfectly over the top.
marchesagg marchesa 2 louboutin heels
m. Even though I really loved Olivia in Marchesa, my favorite look hands down was Catherine Zeta Jones in Monique Lhuiller. Show stoppin. I don't really have much to say, I just thought that the jewelry, gown shape, hair, everything just came together perfectly.

gg monique lhuillier gown catherine zeta jonesgg monique lhuillier gown
I totally understand if this was extremely boring and nothing new, but I just thought I'd share.
p.s. How freakin adorable was Chris Colfer's speech?

1 comment: